Since I just posted about nude charity calendars, I’m reminded of another very important nude calendar. Dean Fidelman is a very talented photographer who, every year since 1999, has produced calendars featuring models (mostly amateur and female, but some males) who are also skilled rock climbers. Each month showcases one of the photographer’s stunning black-and-white images. The models demonstrate their skill fully naked – almost always barefoot too. “Impressive” doesn’t adequately describe either the photos or the climbers.
As the article from Outside explains, no calendars beyond 2019 are planned.
“To keep the small-run calendar project afloat, the photographer washed dishes in Argentine Patagonia and cleaned carpets in Yosemite Valley. But he never made money on it, and now he’s decided it’s finally time to call it quits.”
People, like Fidelman and his models, who are serious about both art and the great outdoors, typically don’t place financial motives above what they love doing. The latter comes first. But they have other things they want to do with their lives too. There comes a time to move on. To everything there is a season….
You may regret it if you don’t spend a little under $30 (including s/h) to get the 2019 calendar.
- Feidelman’s Stone Nudes website. Calendars, prints of individual images, and an eBook with many images may be ordered here.
- Preview of the Stone Nudes book.
- The Stone Nudes Kickstarter page – It’s probably too late to order here, but there are a number of photos.
- Mountain Gear – an outdoor adventure store that also sells the calendar, and (apparently) a hardcopy edition of the book.
- An independent site that showcases 14 examples of Fidelman’s work.