How to Get Started Being Naked
It's simple. There's really only one step, which costs nothing and
requires very little time:
Take your clothes off!
There, that wasn't so hard, was it? Really, that's all there is to it.
Feels good, doesn't it? Keep in mind the old Chinese saying, "I hear and
I forget; I see and I remember; I do and I understand."
Of course, if you don't happen to be alone right now, you may not
have tried this first step. Save it for some time you are alone, if
you must. You will probably find it becomes comfortable very quickly.
At some point you will amost certainly want to try nudity with others,
however. The others might be family, close friends, people you live with,
or perhaps, total strangers (which is often easier).
Before you take that step, however, you will probably want more
information and answers to concerns and questions you have.
And when you are ready for something more than just being naked all
by yourself in your room, you'll probably want some ideas for the
best ways and places to start out.
So, here are some ideas on how to get started.
- Skinny-dip in your own pool or spa
- If you live with others, they may find it a little odd if you just
go naked around the house. However, they may be very understanding
if you go in the water without a bathing suit. There's a right
time and place for most things, and water is one of the most
appropriate for nudity. You'll love it that way, and others who may
be around will have a chance to get used to a little innocent nudity.
- Do housecleaning or other chores in the nude
- Are there some unwelcome chores you'd prefer to avoid but
can't? Try doing them without any clothes on and see if it isn't
a lot more pleasant that way. (Hopefully, if it's something that
has to be done outside, you have some privacy where you live.)
- Gradually become more comfortable with your clothes off
- If you live with others, be sure to respect their feelings.
However, once they find out you like to be naked, they may not have
any problem with it, even if they don't choose to go along. Soon
"no clothes" will come to seem normal, just another way you may
choose to be at times.
- Read some other introductory information on naturism
- There are certain very common questions people have about naturism
and public nudity in general. The questions are so common that there
are various good lists of answers:
- Read about others' first time experiences
- People who haven't tried public nudity as adults expect that the
first time must be quite
difficult. If it is, it's usually only in the half excited and half
nervous/jittery anticipation of it - the butterflies in the stomach
stage. It may help to avoid some of the worst fears by reading
how it went for others.
- Find out some of the reasons for not wearing clothes
- There are many reasons. Some are practical, while others are more
philosophical. Here are some places to start:
- Read tips on your enjoying your first visit to a naturist club
- Nervous about what you can expect? Read some of the following!
- Call the Naturist Society
- The Naturist Society
is an organization that promotes naturism and nude recreation.
They have an excellent magazine
Nude and Narural), a guide
book to naturist and clothing optional places around the World,
informational videos, and a mail-order service that sells a variety
of useful publications and accessories for naturists.
- Call the AANR
- AANR, the American Association
for Nude Recreation is the largest "nudist" organization in
North America. They focus primarily on "landed" camps, clubs, and
resorts (which have their own facilities) and on "travel" clubs
(which don't). Such clubs and resorts tend to cater to families and
older people rather than singles and young folks, but there are many
that welcome anyone who enjoys being naked. The AANR has its own
guide book to clubs and resorts. The
is online too.
When you get in touch with them,
tell them what your personal situation is for the best recommendations.
- Buy and watch some naturist videos
- It probably won't come as any surprise that there are now many
videos available that show and explain the pleasures of a nude
way of living. They aren't intended for erotic entertainment.
They just let you see, with real people, what it's like to live and
have fun without any clothes. But you won't find them at your
local video store or library. Many places that carry videos also
have books, if you prefer to read. Here are some sources:
- Subscribe to a naturist magazine
- Although there are books on naturism, the most current information
is found in naturist magazines. They have lots of good information on
where to go to be naked as well as the philosophy behind it. Try one
- Start reading the rec.nude newsgroup
- Rec.nude isn't the world's most civilized online nudist haunt.
It sometimes seems like a street brawl, and gets a lot of unwanted
spam from lost souls looking for, or peddling, sex. But you can
learn a lot about the positive, healthy side of being naked there
as well. If you have questions that don't seem to be answered
anywhere else, this is the place to ask them, if you can just be
clear enough, and perhaps a little patient. There are various ways
to get the news group:
- Find a clothing optional beach
- How do you do that? The best place to start is by calling The
Naturist Society and buying their
But if you don't want to spend the money or wait for the mail,
have a look at our
links page, if you haven't already. Many locations are
listed there. Others are listed on some of the links. Here are
some of the best links to try for this kind of information:
- Find a clothing optional hot springs
- This works best if you live in the western U. S., where most of
the geothermal action is. It's a great option if you like the outdoors.
There are several guide books in print,
and there are many
Web sites with lots of information.
- Join an online naturist discussion group
- Rec.nude isn't the only place online for people who want to discuss
nudity. Most of the large commercial services have a nudist/naturist
area, and these generally avoid a lot of the rough and tumble aspect
One of the best areas is on CompuServe in the Personal Support Forum
(GO HSX100 and look in section 12).
Here are some other choices, available on the Web or through email:
- Talk to others interested in nudity in a live chat
- Don't want to wait and want to start talking right now?
There are IRC channels and several other online chat systems
where you can find folks at almost any hour. You may have to register
and pay a nominal fee to use some systems. Try these:
- Talk to people you know about nudity
- Perhaps you have a spouse, significant other, or special friend who
you'd like to have join you in exploring and enjoing nakedness. How
do you talk to them about it? Or perhaps you'd just like to talk about
it with others you know, simply to bounce the idea off them. Here
are some places to look for some thoughts on the matter:
Copyright © 1997-2007, All Rights Reserved
Last updated: December 23, 2005